Subject: [KOR][FanFic] The War
From: Chris Schumacher <[email-masked]>

Begin -> Kimagure Orange Road: The War

!

                        Kimagure Orange Road
                              The War

KOR (c) 1986, Matsumoto Izumi

Written By: Chris Schumacher

"Whatever you do, don't mention the war!"
 -Basil Fawlty/"The Germans"
"I will never see myself in the mirror with my eyes closed."
 -TMBG:Dead

-----------------------

     [Exterior shot, Green Castle Apartments, early morning in spring.
      Cut to an interior shot of Kasuga's bedroom. Kasuga, still clad
      in pajamas, but on top of his bedsheets, lies with his head
      resting on his interlaced hands, staring at the ceiling.
      Solarization flash-cut to the day before; Kasuga and Komatsu
      are walking through the hallway at Kouryou Gakuen. There
      is a flier taped to the wall. They stop and look at it.]

Komatsu:  A spring dance? Strange, they don't usually have one.
You going to go?

     [Kasuga ponders it for a moment, then gets a determined look
      on his face.]

Kasuga:  <I'll finally ask Ayukawa out!> Yes I will!

Komatsu:  Doesn't take much to excite you, does it?

     [Cut to a shot of the hallway, later, school is over. Kasuga
      pops his head out the door and looks around. He slinks down the
      hallway.]

Hikaru:  [far off, os] Have you seen senpai?

Hatta:  [far off, os] He's still working on his share of cleaning up
the classroom, the lazy bum.

     [Kasuga grits his teeth, we hear the sound of footsteps. Cut to
      a shot of Hikaru coming up the stairs. She looks into the
      classroom, but doesn't see anyone.]

Hikaru:  Darling?

     [Hikaru shrugs and walks off. After she's gone, we pan over to
      a large radiator on one wall. We hear a hollow clunk from inside
      its housing. After a moment it pulls away and Kasuga climbs
      out, he dusts himself off. He looks around again, and slinks
      off in the direction opposite the one that Hikaru went in. Cut
      back to the present, with Kasuga staring at the ceiling.]

Narration:  It was during that spring, in the last week of March,
before the prayer to the statue*, that I finally admitted to myself
that I had chosen Ayukawa over Hikaru. I was at last going to tell 
Ayukawa how I felt, no matter how Hikaru would take it. I would never
get anywhere in life if I remained indecisive.

(* - See the final volume of the KOR manga)

     [Kasuga rises and leaves his room. Cut to a shot of him in the 
      hallway.]

Narration:  I had figured out an exceptional way to pull this off.
[Kasuga gets a goofy grin] I can be so clever sometimes.

     [Kasuga comes to the door to the bathroom. He knocks on it.]

Kasuga:  Could you hurry it up in there? Did you fall in?

Kurumi:  [behind door] I'll come out when I'm good and ready!

     [Kasuga goes back to his room and sits down on his bed and sulks.]

Kasuga:  <There's got to be another mirror somewhere in this 
apartment.> [pause, Kasuga snaps fingers] Of course!

     [Cut to a shot of Kasuga going to the door to his father's
      darkroom.]

Narration:  For those of you who have just joined us...

     [Kasuga goes in and finds a large equipment case on the floor.
      He kneels next to it and undoes the latches.]

Narration:  I discovered, rather by accident, that I have the ability
to hypnotize myself. All ESPers originally had this power and some,
like my cousin Akane, can use it at will.

     [Kasuga pulls out a large mirror; the image of him in it is
      distorted; it looks like a funhouse mirror. Kasuga rests it
      flat on the ground.]

Narration:  Kurumi can hypnotize some other people, but I can only
hypnotize myself, and I have to use a mirror to do it. Luckily my
father is a photographer, and has large mirrors he uses to reflect
natural sunlight.

     [Kasuga looks intently into the mirror.]

Kasuga:  [low] You love Ayukawa more than anyone else on the face
the Earth. You are going to ask her to the Spring Ball, you will
be confident, and you won't take no for an answer.

     [Kasuga keeps repeating this, extremely fast, like a mantra.
      Suddenly Kurumi's face appears behind his. Kasuga's eyes suddenly
      jerk away from their twin in the mirror and looks at the reflection
      of Kurumi. He turns around to look at her.]

Kasuga:  [embarrassed] Uh, what are you doing here?

Kurumi:  [stares intently at the mirror for a moment, then shakes
herself out of it] The bathroom is free.

Kasuga:  Oh, thanks!

     [Kasuga gets up and rushes out of the room. Kurumi looks 
      confused. Cut to a shot of Kasuga in the bathroom.]

Narration:  One of the really annoying things about the hypnotism is
that I'm never sure if it's taken hold or not. I guess I'll just have
to wait and see.

                              <->  <->  <->

     [Cut to an exterior shot of Kouryou Gakuen, the bell is ringing
      and everyone is running to get to class. Cut to an interior shot
      of Kasuga's classroom. A few stragglers are rushing into the
      room. Kasuga and Ayukawa are sitting next to each other. Class
      starts, and every few seconds Kasuga steals a glance at Ayukawa.
      She doesn't seem to notice.]

Kasuga:  <I've got to ask her out.>

Sound FX: Doki, doki, doki, doki. (translation: Ba-thump, ba-thump,
ba-thump.)

     [Kasuga places his hand on his chest.]

Kasuga:  <My heart is racing... I don't think the hypnosis worked.
I can't get up the nerve to ask her...>

     [He continues to take notes, but suddenly an exclamation point
      encased in a word bubble appears above his head.]

Kasuga:  <But I bet I've got enough courage to write her a note!>

     [Kasuga tears out a sheet of paper and writes:
      "Do you want to go to the dance with me?". Kasuga stares at it
      for a moment, then crumples it up.]

Kasuga:  <No, that sounds too desperate. I need something a bit more
suave, more like Slick Kasuga...>

     [Kasuga rips off another sheet of paper and writes:
      "You. Me. The Dance. Capiche?". Kasuga rubs a corner of his
      forehead with the back of his pencil, then crumples up the note.]

Kasuga:  <Now I sound like an American mobster... I've got to try
something sincere, honest...>

     [Kasuga is writing as he's thinking, but obviously not thinking
      as he's writing, because he looks down at the note:
      "Ayukawa, will you sleep with me?". His eyes bug out of his head.
      He crumples up that piece of paper and raps himself on the side
      of the head a couple of times. He stops and notices that the
      entire class has gone dead still, and everyone is staring at
      him.]

Teacher:  Mr. Kasuga, could I please see what you've been writing?

     [Kasuga starts to try and hide the balled up pieces of paper he
      has, but the teacher snatches one of them from his desk and
      walks back to the front of the room. Kasuga's eyes boggle again.]

Kasuga:  <Oh no, that's the last one! What am I going to do?!>

     [He notices that no one is staring at him anymore, he rips off
      another piece of paper quietly and balls it into a wad. He
      stares at it, and the The Power crackle effect appears around
      him. Cut-screen image of the wad of paper in his hand, and the
      wad in the teacher's hand. With a tinge of the energy, the two
      switch places.]

Kasuga:  Phew! [pockets all three pieces of paper]

     [The teacher gets to the front of the room and uncrumples the
      piece of paper.]

Teacher:  [Reading] Ayukawa, I don't think that this is worth my
time, and I don't feel any compunction about wasting your or the
professor's time, because it certainly won't make my grades any worse.
By the way, can I copy off you during the next test? Thanks, your
teddy bear, Kyousuke Kasuga.

     [Everyone in the room, except Ayukawa and Kasuga, starts laughing.
      Ayukawa starts to look a little red.]

Kasuga:  [scowl] <If I'd known he was going to do that, I wouldn't
have bothered.>

     [The teacher crumples the piece of paper up and throws it into
      the wastebasket.]

Teacher:  Now, if you two lovebirds have nothing else to add, we'll
get back to the lesson.

     [The teacher picks up his book and starts where he left off.]

Teacher:  The Imperial order had a group of tacticians that were
called the Chiss, now who knows who the most famous Chiss was?

                              <->  <->  <->

     [Cut to a little while later; lunchtime. Since it's spring, the
      students are eating their lunches outside. Cut to a shot of
      Kasuga, with his bento box in one hand, scoping the area.]

Kasuga:  <I wonder where Ayukawa went...>

     [Kasuga walks around, and peeks around a pine tree, he sees
      Ayukawa and Hikaru together on some rocks. Kasuga ponders this
      for a moment.]

Kasuga:  <Can't very well ask her in front of Hikaru. And if I let
Hikaru fawn on me, it's just going to make her angry and less liable
to accept... Better go find Komatsu and Hatta.>

     [Cut to a few moments later. Komatsu and Hatta are sitting at
      a picnic table. Kasuga sits down to join them.]

Komatsu:  Are you out of your mind? Pop Chaser was a joke! It was
nothing compared to even the LEAST of the Ami chronicles!

Hatta:  Oh come on, some of those Ami stories didn't even have any
nudity or sex in them!

     [They suddenly stop arguing and turn to face Kasuga. They're
      obviously surprised.]

Komatsu:  You're actually eating with us out of your own free will?!

Hatta:  We usually have to drag you along!

Kasuga:  I just felt like a change today.

Komatsu:  By the way, was what the teacher told us in class true,
Kasuga? Are you and Ayukawa [makes a loop with one finger, and sticks
his other index finger through it]

     [Kasuga chokes on his food.]

Hatta:  Nah, can't be. He's going out with Hikaru.

Komatsu:  Well you know, Ayukawa has always been a deviant. Maybe they
let him do them both at once.

Hatta:  [blood dripping out of nose] You really think?!

Komatsu:  Yes! Yes!

Hatta:  How do you do it, Kasuga?! How do you do both at once?!

Kasuga:  That's enough!

     [Kasuga jumps up from the table, but both Komatsu and Hatta drag
      him back down.]

Komatsu:  Come on, brother, we have to know!

Hatta:  And don't leave out a single, sordid, detail!

Kasuga:  It's nothing like that, I tell you!!!

                              <->  <->  <->

     [Cut to a shot of the grounds later, near the end of lunch.
      Kasuga is walking along, flustered. Ahead of him he sees Ayukawa
      and Hikaru, he is about to bound out of sight, but Hikaru walks
      into the building waving to Ayukawa.]

Kasuga:  [clenching fist in steely resolve] I will ask her out!

     [He starts to walk rapidly towards her, but out of the trees
      appears Kasuga's two sisters. They are facing him.]

Sisters:  [as one] Hey, Onnichan!

Kasuga:  [gruff] Not now.

     [He doesn't even look at them, both of them turn around to look
      where he's heading. Suddenly Kurumi goes stock still, she starts
      to blush, and her eyes get a glint to them.]

Kurumi:  Ayukawa-senpai!

     [Kurumi runs over to her and grabs her hand. Ayukawa looks a 
      little taken aback, not to mention Manami and Kasuga as well.]

Kasuga:  <I thought it was Manami that favored Ayukawa...>

Ayukawa:  Ah, Kurumi... What can I help you with?

Kurumi:  Mmm... It's kind of personal, can we go somewhere private?

     [The bell starts ringing.]

Kasuga:  Son of a...!

Ayukawa:  [nods] All right, but we'd better make it quick.

     [Ayukawa and Kurumi run out into the trees. Kasuga lets out a
      sigh and makes his way into the school building. Cut to a shot
      of a glade in the schoolyard. Kurumi and Ayukawa stand alone.]

Ayukawa:  [smiles, nicely] Okay. What's this about?

Kurumi:  Well... senpai, it's kind of hard to say...

     [Kurumi nervously digs a hole in the dirt with the tip of her
      shoe.]

Kurumi:  You see, senpai, I've always kind of admired you. You were
always so strong, and gracious, and talented...

Ayukawa:  [blushing a little] Thank you, Kurumi, but what...

Kurumi:  I've finally realized, senpai... I love you. Will you go to
the spring ball with me?

     [Close on Ayukawa. She is SHOCKED; I mean just plain STUNNED,
      this was certainly not what she expected, and she is speechless.]

                              <->  <->  <->

     [Cut to an exterior shot of Hoshi All-Girl's School. Cut to an
      interior shot of a classroom where the students are watching
      Star Wars (in English) on a TV.]

Luke:  [on-screen] What is it?

Obi-Wan:  [on-screen] I felt a great disturbance in the force. As if a
million voices cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced. I feel
as if something terrible has happened.

     [Pan to the back where Akane is sitting, one hand strung behind
      the back of her chair. She suddenly sits up and looks worried.]

Akane:  <I have the exact same feeling...>

                              <->  <->  <->

     [Cut to a shot of the same glade, a brief second later. Ayukawa
      is still speechless. She makes to say something, but...]

Voice:  What are you two doing out here?

     [One of the hall monitors walks into the glade.]

Hall Monitor:  Get to class or I'll report you!

     [Kurumi runs into the building, but the Monitor grabs Ayukawa
      by the arm.]

Hall Monitor:  Just one thing, Ayukawa-kun. Since this is an escalated
school, we hear things from the other schools. I know that you were
in a lot of trouble in junior high. And I will not accept any slack
from you, is that understood?!

Ayukawa:  Yes, senpai.

     [The Hall Monitor lets her go, and Ayukawa rushes into the 
      building.]

Hall Monitor:  [grumbles] Young punks.

                              <->  <->  <->

     [Cut to a shot of Kasuga's classroom. He is rearranging the stuff
      on his desk as Ayukawa enters and sits down next to him. She
      looks numb.]

Kasuga:  So, what did my sister want?

Ayukawa:  [pause] Oh, just girl stuff.

Kasuga:  [bit nervous] Oh... yeah.

                              <->  <->  <->

     [Cut to an exterior shot of Hoshi Girl's School, afternoon. The
      students are trickling out, it's been a while since the end of
      school. Akane comes out, looking thoughtful.]

Akane:  <That's really strange... I've been thinking about Ayukawa
all day. Not that it's all that unusual...> [stops pacing] <Is this
a premonition of some kind?>

     [She pivots on her heel and starts walking in the opposite
      direction.]

Akane:  <I hope I'm remembering correctly where ABCB is...>

                              <->  <->  <->

     [Cut to an exterior shot of ABCB, around the same time. Ayukawa
      comes out from the back, tying the back of her apron behind her.]

Ayukawa:  How's business today?

Master:  The lunch rush was a little lighter than I had expected.

     [Ayukawa goes over to the sink behind the counter and starts to
      wash her hands.]

Ayukawa:  Well, let's see if we can make up for that in the afternoon.

     [The bell on the door rings. Ayukawa dries her hands and turns
      to face her new customer, a smile on her face.]

Ayukawa:  Welcome to ABCB, how may I.... [blinks] Kurumi!

     [Pan over; it is indeed Kurumi who's standing there.]

Ayukawa:  <That Kasuga and his big mouth! He should know that Kurumi
can't keep a secret!> What are you doing here?

Kurumi:  [blank stare] You work here? But isn't that against the
rules?

Ayukawa:  Yeah, well, I won't tell them if you don't. [nervous laugh]
How did you find me?

Kurumi:  [blushes] I'm sorry, senpai, I followed you from school. I
wanted to talk to you.

Ayukawa:  [nervous] Uh... Yes...

     [Cut to a shot of the sidewalk outside. Akane, looking exhausted,
      stops to rest in front of ABCB. She looks at her reflection in
      the store window and straightens her uniform and attempts to
      brush some stray hairs back into place.]

Akane:  <All right! Let's make a good impression!>

     [Akane grabs the door handle and yanks the door open. Master is
      waiting in the entryway, using Windex on the front window.]

Master:  Good afternoon, Akane.

Akane:  Good afternoon, Master. Has Ayukawa arrived yet?

Master:  Yes, she's over there, [indicates] with Kurumi.

     [Akane moves off, as soon as she comes within earshot, she 
      overhears.]

Kurumi:  I'm in love with you senpai, more than I could love any man!

     [Akane stops dead, staring at the scene in front of her.]

Akane:  <Hey, that's MY line!>

Ayukawa:  Look Kurumi, I'm extremely flattered. But this is just a
phase you're going through. I'd expect you to have a low opinion of
men considering those two guys you've been going out with.

Kurumi:  [angry] Don't talk to me like I'm a child, senpai! I love
you, and I'm not going to outgrow that.

     [Pan back to show Akane. Her hands are clenched down by her sides,
      she's gritting her teeth.]

Akane:  <I wouldn't have such a severe disadvantage if Kurumi wasn't so
outgoing! She doesn't even try to hide her views. After all these years,
I've only been able to intimate to Ayukawa how I feel--and here she
is, coming out the first day!>

Ayukawa:  [to Kurumi] Listen, I'll get you some cocoa, on the house,
okay? Then we'll sit down and talk this through.

     [Ayukawa slinks into the backroom. Akane storms over to Kurumi.
      Kurumi whirls around, surprised to see her.]

Akane:  Back. Off.

Kurumi:  I can't hide how I feel.

Akane:  You can, and you will, if you know what's good for you.
Ayukawa is mine.

Kurumi:  [bristling] Are you threatening me?

Akane:  [taps her on the forehead] I knew there was a brain in that
head of yours; use it.

Kurumi:  I'm much better for Ayukawa than you could be. It isn't just
that you like girls, Akane. You power has twisted you into a true
deviant.

Akane:  [through clenched teeth] I am not going to warn you again!

Kurumi:  [stands] And I'm not going to give up.

Akane:  You don't want to mess with me, Kurumi. We've known each other
since we were children--I could use the things I know about you to
destroy you. If you don't back off, I will see it as a declaration of
war.

Kurumi:  Fine; then we're at war.

     [Akane narrows her eyes.]

Akane:  I will bury you.

     [Akane pivots on her heel, and storms out of the cafe.]

Master:  [opening the door for her] Come again.

     [Cut back to the stool where Kurumi is sitting. She's stewing.
      Ayukawa comes with a steaming mug in her hands: she sets it
      before Kurumi.]

Ayukawa:  Now, where were we?

     [Kurumi jumps down from her stool.]

Kurumi:  Sorry, we can pick this up later. I've got some thinking to
do.

     [Kurumi leaves, Master opens the door for her as well.]

Master:  Come again.

     [Cut back to the counter, Ayukawa sighs. She absentmindedly takes
      a sip of the cocoa, then spits it out.]

Ayukawa:  Hot! Hot!

                              <->  <->  <->

     [Cut to a shot of ABCB, quite a bit later. Master is sweeping up
      while Ayukawa is wiping down the counter. Ayukawa looks deep in
      thought.]

Master:  Kasuga coming over tonight?

     [Ayukawa nods and says nothing. Master finishes sweeping and puts
      the broom away in the backroom. As he comes out, he goes to stand
      where Ayukawa is.]

Master:  Something on your mind?

Ayukawa:  What makes you say that?

      [He looks down at where Ayukawa is wiping, some of the paint has
       worn away. Ayukawa looks down, and is shocked. She stops 
       wiping.]

Master:  Just to reaffirm my offer; if there's ever anything bothering
you; you can talk to me.

Ayukawa:  With all due respect, this one's just a little bit too weird
for me to tell you.

Master:  [smiles] Well, if you ever change your mind...

Ayukawa:  Yeah.

     [Master pulls on his coat and goes out the front door, he passes
      Kasuga as he enters.]

Master:  Good night, Kasuga-kun.

Kasuga:  Good night, Master.

     [Kasuga throws his bookbag down on the usual table and walks over
      to the counter.]

Kasuga:  Algebra tonight?

Ayukawa:  [not all there] Sure.

     [Cut to a while later. They're sitting at their usual table, books
      and papers spread all over it. Kasuga is writing an equation. He
      pushes it towards Ayukawa, she continues to stare at her book
      blankly. Kasuga looks nervous, than taps her on the shoulder.
      Ayukawa looks up, startled.]

Kasuga:  Sorry. Something the matter?

Ayukawa:  Ummm... No. I just have something on my mind. [looks at
paper, sighs] You got the bracket system wrong again. Now pay 
attention...

     [She continues to talk as Kasuga thinks.]

Kasuga:  <What did I do now? I don't remember anything... I certainly
can't ask her to the dance now.>

                              <->  <->  <->

     [Cut to a shot of Kouryou Gakuen the next morning. Kasuga is
      walking through the courtyard with Komatsu.]

Komatsu:  You wouldn't believe it; they actually have sex on stage!
And you've only go to pay a 2000 Yen cover charge!

Kasuga:  But we're underage, and aren't our parents going to wonder
where we are?

Komatsu:  Hatta knows some guys who can get us fake IDs.

Kasuga:  [sighs] I still don't know. What if we get caught? The
punishment would be pretty severe.

Komatsu:  Nothing chanced, nothing gained.

     [Kasuga stops and stares ahead of him. He sees Akane, clad in
      her school uniform and carrying her briefcase, walk into his
      school.]

Kasuga:  <What's -she- doing here?>

Komatsu:  What is it?

Kasuga:  [shaking head] Nothing.

     [Cut to the hallway outside the principal's office. Akane smiles
      and the scene is filled with a haze; Akane now looks like
      Kurumi; however, she's still wearing the Hoshi uniform. She walks
      into the principal's outer office. The secretary looks up from
      her typing.]

Secretary:  Hello, Kurumi-chan. Can I help you with something?

Akane:  I need to see the principal; is he in?

Secretary:  Yes, but what's this-

     [Akane opens the door to the inner office and walks in.]

Secretary:  Hey!

     [Cut to a shot of the inner office. The principal looks up from
      some papers.]

Principal:  Oh, Kurumi-chan. Do you need something?

Akane:  I just want you to know... [tenses legs to run] You're a 
maggot pus-wad.

     [Akane barrels out of the room, knocking over the secretary who
      was standing in front of the door. Both her and the principal
      look shocked.]

                              <->  <->  <->

     [Cut to a shot of the Principal's office, some time later. The
      real Kurumi is sitting in the chair in the Principal's office,
      staring on blankly as the Principal shouts at her. She looks
      different because she's wearing the Kouryou Gakuen uniform.]

Principal:  ...completely unacceptable! I have never in all my years
as principal ever been anywhere near as insulted! What do you have
to say for yourself?

     [Kurumi snaps to attention.]

Kurumi:  I don't know what came over me, sir.

Principal:  [apoplectic] Is that all?!

Kurumi:  Oh! [stands up, bows deep several times] I'm sorry! I'm
sorry! I'm sorry! I'm sorry!

Principal:  Yes, that's what I expected.

     [The Principal sits down at his desk.]

Principal:  I obviously cannot let this go, Kurumi-chan. You must
understand that.

Kurumi:  Of course.

Principal:  You will serve a week of detention, and you will be
suspended for the rest of the day.

Kurumi:  Yes, gakku-chou.

Principal:  I'll call your father- [picks up phone]

Kurumi:  Ah, he's not home, gakhu-chou.

Principal:  What? Where is he?

Kurumi:  He had to do an outdoor shoot in Yokohama today. Actually, he
won't be home until 6 tonight.

Principal:  [leans back in chair] Well, I suppose we're going to have
to trust you to go home on your own, then. Since you haven't been in
trouble before [rolls eyes] unlike some students who will remain
nameless; I will trust you to go straight home.

Kurumi:  [rises, bows] Thank you.

     [Cut to a shot of Kurumi walking out into the hallway. Suddenly
      her penitent visage drops and she burns with rage. She strides
      down the hallway.]

Kurumi:  <But there's a place I need to visit first.>

                              <->  <->  <->

    [Cut to an exterior shot of Hoshi All Girls School. Cut to an
     interior shot of one of the upstairs hallways. Akane is standing
     in the hallway, holding a bucket of water in each hand. There is
     a sign hanging around her neck that reads: "I was late". She
     lets out a long sigh.]

Akane:  [shrugs] Eeh, it was worth it.

     [Suddenly there is a blur of energy and Kurumi appears at the
      end of the hallway. She sees Akane and lunges for her.]

Kurumi:  Think that was really funny, do you?

Akane:  [laughs] Yes, quite.

     [Kurumi makes to punch Akane, but Akane bounces out of the way.
      She throws down both buckets and assumes a fighting position.
      They start to grapple; they fight like natural athletes; it's
      boxing, more or less. They are evenly matched. After a few
      moments, Kurumi starts to glow with The Power.]

Kurumi:  You cannot defeat me -and- The Power!

     [Akane starts to dodge and block fewer punches, and the punches
      that get through have more force behind them. Akane gets hit
      in the chest and the breath is knocked out of her.]

Akane:  [huff] You may be strong... [puff] ...but if you hit me, you
only injure me; the wound will heal. By damaging your reputation, I
can DESTROY you.

Kurumi:  Reputation is only what other people think of you! Character
is what you are in the dark!

Akane:  [panting] Well, someone's been up on their reading.

     [The door to Akane's classroom opens and the teacher looks out.]

Teacher:  What the hell is going on out here? [aghast] AKANE!

     [Kurumi stops using the power and runs down the hallway. The
      teacher doesn't even think about it and chases after her. Kurumi
      whirls around the corner, and as soon as she does, she vanishes
      in a flash of light. The teacher turns the corner just as the
      light ebbs to nothing and look around, startled.]

Teacher:  What the hell...?

                              <->  <->  <->

     [Cut to an exterior shot of the Green Castle apartments, that
      evening; just after 6 o'clock. Cut to an interior shot of the
      family room of the Kasuga apartment. Takeshi and Kurumi are
      sitting at the table. Takeshi has a piece of paper in his hand,
      which he is reading. He's turning red with rage.]

Takeshi:  What is this all about?! What's wrong with you?

Kurumi:  It wasn't me!

Takeshi:  Well the principal certainly seems to think it is. What
could have caused you to say something like that?

Kurumi:  I'm telling you, I didn't do it! Akane impersonated me; she
did it to get me in trouble.

Takeshi:  I can't believe you're trying to shift blame from this onto
your cousin.

Kurumi:  But it's true!

Takeshi:  What possible reason could Akane have to do this? I mean,
even if the two of you were fighting, Akane would never go that far
over something petty.

     [Cut to the living room. Manami and Kasuga are hiding behind the
      door, peeping through the small crack, listening in.]

Kurumi:  It wasn't something petty. [looks uncomfortable]

Takeshi:  [raises eyebrows] Are you telling me, honestly, that it was
really her?

Kurumi:  Yes.

Takeshi:  But why?

Kurumi:  I really can't say.

Takeshi:  Unless you want to be grounded for the next month, you'll
have to do better than that.

Kurumi:  It's about Ayukawa.

Takeshi:  What about her?

Kurumi:  We're both in love with her.

Kasuga&Manami:  WHAT?!

     [The door flies forward and the two siblings tumble onto the
      floor. Takeshi and Kurumi stare at them; though Takeshi registers
      deep shock.]

                              <->  <->  <->

     [Cut to a shot of the kitchen, a while later. Takeshi is on the
      phone.]

Takeshi:  Yes, the same girl. Yes, I know it's distressing.

     [Cut to a shot of Kurumi, in her room. She's staring out her
      window at the apartment building next door. Specifically at a
      darkened room a couple of floors down. From her scowl, we can
      assume it's Akane's room. The door to her room opens and Kasuga
      walks in, looking quite angry.]

Kasuga:  All right, what are you playing at?

Kurumi:  I knew my feelings were too deep for you to understand.

Kasuga:  What is it; do you want a bigger allowance? A new stereo?
What's the con this time?

     [Kurumi looks very angry, then suddenly her face brightens with
      a look of revelation.]

Kurumi:  [distantly] Two can play at that game.

Kasuga:  What?

      [She walks over to Kasuga and taps him on the forehead; Kasuga
       isn't able to stop her in time and gets a glazed look.]

Kurumi:  Akane is your enemy. You're going to take her down. Destroy!
Destroy! Destroy!

     [Kasuga simply nods in response.]

Kurumi:  Do it now!

     [Without so much as a word, Kasuga turns around and leaves. Kurumi
      turns around and looks back out the window; she smiles smugly.]

                              <->  <->  <->

     [Cut to the front door of the Other Kasuga apartment. There is a
      knock at the door. Kazuya walks over and opens the door; it's
      Kasuga.]

Kazuya:  Hey Kyosuke, what-

     [Kasuga walks past, not seeing him. Kazuya looks confused. He
      walks into the family room; Akane is sitting at a desk near the
      wall, working on an MSX computer. She cranes her neck to see
      Kasuga.]

Akane:  Oh, hey Kyosuke, what do you-

     [Kasuga walks over and attempts to punch Akane in the face, but
      he misses and hits her shoulder. Akane jumps to her feet and
      starts to thrash Kasuga.]

Akane:  WHAT THE HELL DO YOU THINK YOU'RE DOING?! YOU DON'T EVER HIT
A GIRL! YOU PIG!

     [Kasuga is down, but Akane still continues to wail on him.]

Akane:  YOU WORTHLESS PIECE OF GARBAGE! SCUM BALL!!!!

     [Kasuga comes out of his trance and starts crying like a baby.]

Kasuga:  Stop! Please, for the love of God! Spare me!!!!

     [One head-slam later, Kasuga passes out. Akane jumps up and
      wipes sweat away from her brow.]

Akane:  If Kurumi thinks that's going to work, she's got another
thing coming!

                              <->  <->  <->

     [Cut to a close up of Kasuga's face; there are scratches all over
      and he has a black eye. Pull back to reveal that he's in the
      kitchen of their Green Castle apartment. Manami and Takeshi
      sit around the table with him.]

Takeshi:  This is really getting out of control. I don't think 
groundings and suspensions are going to dissuade either of them.

Manami: I still don't understand what the big deal is. I mean, so what
if Kurumi loves another girl? Just because we don't see things the same
way doesn't mean that her way is any less valid.

Kasuga:  In Akane's case, I'd probably agree. But something must have
set Kurumi off. She's never shown an interest in women before. Did she
have a fight with Hatta?

Takeshi:  I thought she was going out with Komatsu now?

Kasuga:  [shrugs] I don't even try to keep track of it anymore.

Takeshi: In answer to your question, Manami; I'm more concerned about
this fighting than I am about Manami's apparent change in sexual
preference... Though I'd be lying if I said it didn't effect me.
[pauses] I think I'd be more ready to accept it if I felt it was
genuine.

                              <->  <->  <->

     [Cut to a shot of the grounds of Kouryou Gakuen, around noon the
      next day. There is a blanket spread out on the grass at one
      part, and Ayukawa and Kurumi are eating a picnic lunch.]

Kurumi:  [eating] Mmmm... You're a really good cook, senpai. I've
never had tempura with my lunch before.

Ayukawa:  [smiles] Thank you. [pauses] Listen, Kurumi... There's a
reason I wanted to have lunch with you.

Kurumi:  [heart thumping] Really? <Oh please, oh please, oh please...>

Ayukawa:  I want you to know that I think you're a sweet girl. And I
would consider myself extremely lucky to have you as a girlfriend. 
[sighs] But I'm afraid that I can't love you, or any other woman in
that way. I'm afraid I'm just not wired like that.

Kurumi:  [numb] Oh.

Ayukawa:  I know your parents and teachers are probably filling your
mind with garbage about how you're just going through a phase... and
maybe, just maybe, you are. But I'm sure somewhere out there, there's
another girl who can love you back in that special way. And I'm sure
if you keep this up, you'll find her.

Kurumi:  [numb] Uh.....huh.

     [Ayukawa adopts a tender/sad smile and gets to her feet.]

Ayukawa:  I imagine you don't want to see me just now, so I'll leave
you alone. If you ever need some support-

Kurumi:  [cutting her off] Uh huh.

     [Ayukawa looks as if she's about to say something more, decides
      against it, and leaves. After a few more moments of numbness,
      Kurumi starts to boil with rage.]

Kurumi:  <I can't believe this. She just said those things to let me
down easy! HOW COULD SHE CHOOSE AKANE OVER ME?!>

     [Kurumi stands up and cracks her knuckle.]

Kurumi:  [low] Well, I guess my cousin is just going to have to die.

                              <->  <->  <->

     [Cut to a shot of the street that Kouryou Gakuen is on. Akane
      is walking past several vending machines, vandalizing them with
      spray-paint as she goes.]

Graffiti:  kiss rocks

     [Akane stands around, looking impatient. She checks her watch
      and sighs. After a moment a policeman turns a corner onto the
      street. He looks at the machines, then shifts his gaze to the
      figure of Akane, who is now surrounded by a haze and appears as
      Kurumi, though still wearing the Hoshi school uniform.]

Policeman:  Hey!

     [Akane smirks and runs towards the school. Cut to an aerial
      angle over the wall where Kurumi paces in a thoughtful mood.
      Akane runs past the open gate and starts shimming up a tree.
      The haze drops around her and she's just Akane again. She hides
      behind the leaves. The policeman rushes in through the gate and
      looks around. She sees Kurumi pacing and runs over to her.]

Policeman:  Thought you could get away, huh?

Kurumi:  [baffled] What?

Policeman:  [grabs her arm] Come on, you can answer down at the
station.

     [Ayukawa rushes forward out of the glade and pulls the policeman's
      arm free.]

Ayukawa:  Let her go!

     [When she finally gets a good look at the officer, she starts.]

Ayukawa:  Well, Officer Watanabe; we meet again.

Policeman:  Madoka-chan, strange to see you on school grounds during
the day.

Ayukawa:  What are you harassing my friend for?

Policeman:  She was spray-painting vending machines. [sneering] It
must be your influence.

Ayukawa:  That's impossible, she's been with me for the past twenty
minutes. [pauses] I mean, except for the last minute, when I was over
there.

Policeman:  Stay out of this, Madoka-chan. You don't need another
black mark on your record.

Ayukawa:  Look at her hands.

Policeman/Kurumi:  What?

Ayukawa:  Spraypaint is sent out by bursts of compressed gas, which
sends at least some of the particles backwards, meaning that both the
can and the hand holding it are covered with paint.

     [Ayukawa holds up one of Kurumi's hands; it's completely clean.
      Cut to Akane sitting in the tree, she looks at her hands, they're
      covered in paint. Cut back to Ayukawa, Kurumi and the police
      officer.]

Policeman:  But I saw her doing it!

Ayukawa:  Yet you have no proof. What kind of punishment do you get
for false arrest?

     [The policeman glares at her for a moment, then turns around and
      leaves, sighing.]

Kurumi:  Thank you.

Ayukawa:  [angry] What were you spraypainting vending machines for?!
It's a damn good thing you managed to get those gloves off in time.

     [Ayukawa walks away, shaking her head. Kurumi clenches both of
      her fists and grits her teeth; the Power starts to crackle around
      her.]

Kurumi:  When I'm done with her, Akane is going to wish that I had
simply killed her!

     [Cut back to Akane in the tree, for the first time, she looks
      truly frightened.]

Akane:  Uh oh...
                              
                              <->  <->  <->

     [Cut to a shot of Kasuga's classroom, a little while later. It's
      just after lunch, a few minutes before class starts, so about
      half of the students are gone. Kasuga is sitting in his seat;
      Komatsu is sitting next to him, his desk turned to an angle so
      that's facing Kasuga.]

Komatsu:  So, are you ever going to tell me where you got those
bruises from?

Kasuga:  Nope. <This war between them isn't going to be pretty. Maybe
I should go out of town and wait it out. Pretend I'm sick and go see
grandpa or something... I'm sure dad would understand. At least then
I could avoid getting hypnotized...> [eyes widen] <Wait a second...>

     [There is a flash of memory, Kasuga looking into the large
      sunlight reflector at his reflection, Kurumi appearing over his
      shoulder; his gaze shifts from his own eyes to Kurumi. Suddenly
      Kurumi's eyes glaze over. Cut back to the present; Kasuga's
      mouth is agape. He brings his clenched fist softly down into
      the palm of his other hand.]

Kasuga:  <Of course! I must have hypnotized Kurumi by mistake!> 
[suddenly he looks extremely relieved] <And that hypnosis only lasts
for twenty-four hours, which means that it should've worn off this
morning. I'll go see Kurumi and see if she's okay.>

     [Kasuga gets up and walks out into the hallway; right in front
      of him are Ayukawa and Kurumi.]

Kurumi:  I just want you to know, senpai, that I will not give up on
this. I know you chose Akane; and I will not rest until you're free
of her.

Ayukawa:  [flustered] But Kurumi...

     [Kurumi walks away, cut back to Kasuga. He looks deflated.]

Kasuga:  Damn.

                              <->  <->  <->

     [Cut to a shot of Hoshi All-Girls School, Akane walks out, looking
      a little tired, she yawns. She walks a few steps and then catches
      sight of Kurumi.]

Kurumi:  Hello, cousin.

Akane:  [nervous] Uh... hi.

Kurumi:  I think it's time we had this out. I won't allow Ayukawa to
waste her life with a deviant like you. We duel at sunset, agreed?

Akane:  [sighs in resignation] Fine; let it be finished.

                              <->  <->  <->

     [Cut to an exterior shot of Green Castle apartments. Cut to an
      interior shot of the Kasuga kitchen. Kasuga and Takeshi are
      sitting at the table. Kasuga looks nervous, Takeshi looks at
      him disapprovingly.]

Takeshi:  And how many times did you do this?

Kasuga:  Three, maybe four times.

Takeshi: I can't believe that you would use your powers so recklessly,
and for such trite reasons! I don't think I need to tell you that we're
this close [holds up index-finger and thumb] to moving again.  It's only
a matter of time before either your sister or Akane foul up and uses The
Power in front of someone.

Kasuga:  I'm sorry...

Takeshi:  [waves his hand dismissively] This is all by the way, we've
got a real problem here. We're going to have to call grandpa in for
this one.

     [Cut to a shot of the skyline of Tokyo over the apartment building,
      the sun is farther down in the sky now; it's probably about three
      thirty or so. Cut back to the kitchen, Takeshi hangs up the
      phone.]

Kasuga:  Well?

Takeshi:  He's catching the next train into town. He was pretty
baffled, though. This might be beyond even him.

     [They exchange worried glances.]

                              <->  <->  <->

     [Cut to a short while later, Kurumi is in her closet. After a 
      moment she comes out wearing a long trailing headband. There
      is a knock on her door.]

Takeshi:  Kurumi, we're going to the train station to pick up grandpa.

Kurumi:  All right.

     [Kurumi goes over to her briefcase and takes out a folded piece of
      paper. Written on the front, with a brush, are the words "If I
      should not return from this". Kurumi sets it in the drawer of
      her desk and leaves. Time lapse effect, the shadows in the room
      grow longer. Manami comes in and sets her briefcase down on the
      desk. She sits down and starts to do her homework. She opens up
      the drawer to get a pencil sharpener and notices the note. She
      gives it an odd look and opens it open. Her eyes widen.]

Manami:  Oh no...

                              <->  <->  <->

     [Cut to a shot of one of the fields of Hoshi All-Girl's school,
      dusk. Kurumi, a committed look on her face, stands at the far
      end of one side. After a moment Akane appears on the other side
      and stops, staring across the field at her.]

Kurumi:  We don't have to do this, you know. I've known you all my
life; I don't want to have to destroy you.

Akane:  You're the one who made this difficult, Kurumi. If anyone's
going to back off, it's going to have to be you.

Kurumi:  I'm afraid I can't do that.

Akane:  Then I'm sorry for what I'm about to do.

     [The two of them starting running towards each other. Akane swings
      at Kurumi, but she jumps out of the way, and attempts to
      footsweep Akane. Akane stumbles a little, but holds fast. The
      fight continues.]

                              <->  <->  <->

     [Cut to a shot of the kitchen of the Kasuga residence. Manami
      sits at the table, Kurumi's letter sitting on the table before
      her. It's getting dark in the room, and the shadows are long,
      Manami hasn't turned on the lights. She hears, off-screen, the
      sound of the door opening. She grabs the letter and runs into
      the entryway. Takeshi, Kasuga, and Grandpa enter.]

Manami:  Dad, grandpa... [flustered] I... [shoves the note into
Grandpa's hands] Read this.

     [Grandpa reads it, his bemused expression turns into one of deep
      worry.]

Grandpa:  They're fighting a duel!

Kasuga:  [agape] Oh god, Kurumi's going to be crushed!

Grandpa: Don't be so sure, Kyosuke. Akane can't use the power like you
kids. If she gets Kurumi angry enough, Kurumi'll take her apart!
Kyosuke, where would they fight around here?

Kasuga:  They could be anywhere!

Takeshi:  What about that field at your school?

Kasuga:  I don't think so, they're having baseball try-outs tonight.
[snaps fingers] But Akane's school has a bunch of different athletic
fields, and none of their sports are in season.

Takeshi:  Do you remember the site well enough to teleport there?

Kasuga:  I think so, but aren't you worried we might be seen?

Takeshi: I have a suspicion that we'll be the least ostentatious thing
there, Kyosuke-kun.

     [They join hands, and vanish in a blur of light.]

                              <->  <->  <->

     [Cut to a shot of a hill overlooking the field. The two girls are
      still fighting, but it's thankfully still a completely physical
      battle, no psionics involved. Grandpa and Kasuga appear on the
      hill. Kurumi sees the flash of light, but Akane doesn't. While
      Kurumi is distracted, Akane kicks her in the side of the head
      and pins her.]

Akane:  Give up!

Kurumi:  NEVER!

     [Suddenly Kurumi starts to crackle with energy. Cut to a shot
      of Kasuga and Grandpa running down the hill. Kasuga's eyes bug
      out of his head.]

Narration:  Once, in a time of crisis, when Ayukawa was in danger, I
let go of The Power. Fueled by the anger inside of me, it took on a
never-before-seen form; I try not to think about what it did to the
people who threatened Ayukawa... I just hoped that I never saw it
happen again in my lifetime.

Grandpa:  AKANE-CHAN, KURUMI-CHAN, STOP!

     [Akane starts and turns to look at Grandpa. The build-up of
      Kurumi's energy stops.]

Akane:  Grandpa, what are you doing here?!

Grandpa:  Stopping you two from killing each other!

Kurumi:  You can't stop us from fighting, Grandpa, it's the only way
to end this!

Grandpa:  The situation isn't what either of you think, girls. Come
with me, and I'll explain it.

Akane:  But-

Grandpa:  You can always kill each other later.

     [Akane pauses for a beat, sighs reluctantly, and gets up off
      Kurumi. Kurumi pulls herself to her feet as well.]

                              <->  <->  <->

     [Cut to a shot of Kurumi, lying on her bed, a little while later.
      She's sleeping, though we can guess she's been sedated. The door
      is open a crack, the camera goes through that crack, down the
      hallway and into the family room. As it does so, the voices we
      hear get louder.]

Grandpa: [os for most of it] Hypnosis has always been the trickiest of
the powers associated with us ESPers. Our ancestors, the full ESPers,
could use this power at will. It's one of the reasons why the outside
world shunned them. However, down through the ages, it's the power which
has atrophied, and transformed, the most.

     [As we reach the family room we see Grandpa, Kasuga, Manami,
      Takeshi, Akane, and Kazuya sitting around the coffee table.
      Switch to an angle on Kasuga.]

Grandpa:  [os] Kyosuke-kun, for instance, can only hypnotize himself.
Well, for the most part.

     [Angle on Kurumi, sleeping in her bed.]

Grandpa:  [os] Kurumi can only hypnotize other people, and the only
person she can hypnotize completely is Kasuga.

     [Angle on Akane and Kazuya, sitting next to each other.]

Grandpa: [os] Akane's power is an unique combination of hypnosis with
telepathy; something which her branch of the family has a penchant
for.
     
     [Cut back to a wide-angle shot of the family room.]

Grandpa:  But because this Power has not existed for many generations
in its original form, it is the Power we understand the least. When
Kasuga hypnotized Kurumi, something bizarre happened. In order to
understand this more, we need to go into her mind.

Manami:  How do you intend to do that?

Grandpa:  [turns to Kazuya] Kazuya, I'm going to need your help for
this one. You're the only pure telepath we have.

Kazuya:  I've never done anything like that before.

Grandpa:  Don't worry, I'll tell you what to do. [turns to Kasuga]
Since you were the one who hypnotized her, I'll need you to come with
me. Since it came from you, you'll be able to feel what it is that's
wrong in her mind.

Kasuga:  All right.

                              <->  <->  <->

     [Cut to a shot of Kurumi's room, later. Kurumi's bed has been
      moved out into the exact center of the room. Cushions have been
      placed at three points around the bed, forming a triangle.
      Kazuya, Grandpa, and Kasuga sit down on each of the cushions.]

Grandpa:  All right Kazuya, I want you to read my mind. I will send
you the information on how to do the procedure. It will be plain and
simple, since I won't have to break it down into language.

Kazuya:  Okay.

     [A moment passes, a halo of energy appears around Kurumi's head.
      Slowly similar ones begin to form around Kazuya, Grandpa, and
      Kasuga.]

Grandpa:  [not spoken, reverberating] Kazuya-kun, you are the gateway,
do not attempt to help us. Simply serve as a conduit for us. Do you
understand?

Kazuya:  [telepathic as well] Yes.

Grandpa:  [telepathic] Now I will tell you how to alter perception so
we can interpret her thoughts as a real environment.

     [There is a sharp hissing, following by reverberations, it's the
      sound of pure, uninterrupted thought.]

Grandpa:  [whispering, coming out of the thought waves] Close your
eyes, Kasuga. Let your mind create the new world for you.

     [Kasuga closes his eyes. Everything goes black. Slowly we begin
      to hear sound again, distant but getting closer. Kasuga opens
      his eyes again, and finds himself standing in a park, morning.
      He stares around, aghast.]

Grandpa:  [os] You know this place?

     [Kasuga whirls around. Grandpa is standing behind him.]

Kasuga:  This is the park by our house... I mean, our house three
moves ago.

Grandpa:  Not really, this is simply her memory of it.

     [Kasuga looks at the playground and sees two familiar kids playing
      on the swings. It's Kasuga and Kurumi, yet much younger. There
      are several parents pushing their kids down the slide as well.
      Takeshi sits on a park bench a ways off.]

Kasuga:  Wait, I remember this... Today must be the day that-

Past Kasuga:  Watch this, Kurumi!

     [Kasuga starts to swing faster and faster, suddenly there is flash
      of the Power, and he goes completely 360 degrees. Pretty much
      everyone in the park caught that. Takeshi leaps up from his
      bench, running over to them.]

Parent1:  Did you see that?!

Parent2:  That's impossible!

     [Takeshi grabs both Kurumi and Kasuga and rushes out of the park.
      As soon as he's gone, the other parents slowly fade from sight.
      Kasuga sits down on a grassy hill, looking sad.]

Kasuga:  That was the first time. We'd lived here most of our lives;
I don't think either Manami or Kurumi ever forgave me for that.

     [Grandpa comes and sits next to him.]

Grandpa:  It's the price you pay for living in civilization, I guess.
I lived most of my life out in the country because of that. I never
thought that there was any other way... However, you kids seem happy.

Kasuga:  It's hard living a lie; but at least we're living.

     [Their surroundings shift and now they're in a classroom. One
      seat is conspicuously absent. Kasuga and Grandpa look around.]

Grandpa:  Recognize this place?

Kasuga:  No... Wait a second, that's Katsuhiro Nano, he used to be
Manami's best friend...

     [Suddenly there is a flash of light in the room, and a younger
      Manami appears. She looks almost as shocked to see her classmates
      as they are to see her.]

Manami:  This isn't the hallway!

     [Again, everyone present, including the younger Manami, fade
      from sight. Kasuga goes forward and sits on the edge of the
      teacher's desk.]

Grandpa:  This is the second time, I take it?

Kasuga:  I'm starting to see the pattern. Do you think she knows we're
in here?

Grandpa:  Why do you say that?

Kasuga:  Because I think she's angry at us. Angry at us for blaming
her for this last move. When Manami and me got in trouble before, it
was always more blatant. But since Kurumi was older, she got the
brunt of our aggression. [suddenly he gets a pained look on his face]
Oh no, not...

     [But the scene changes again. It's a sidewalk in some northern
      Japanese town. A younger Kasuga, wearing a baseball hat, bobs
      along in the air a foot above the pavement. As he passes a
      woman, his hat raises an inch off his head and tips.]

Younger Kasuga:  Good day.

     [Older Kasuga covers his eyes. Grandpa smiles evilly as he looks
      on.]

Grandpa:  Takeshi never told me about that one.

Kasuga:  [voice shaking] I was angry at Kurumi. She had some really
good friends here, so I thought: what better way to get even with her
than-

Grandpa:  Yes, I see. [pauses] I found something interesting.

Kasuga:  [looking around] Where?

Grandpa:  Follow my wake. Remember, we're in a mind, this isn't the
real world.

     [Grandpa vanishes, leaving a ripple-effect where he once was. A
      quick moment passes, and Kasuga plunges into the ripple after
      him.]

                              <->  <->  <->

     [Cut to a shot of a desolate part of the mind. It's some sort of
      ancient ruin, long overrun with sand and vegetation. Grandpa
      slowly makes his way across it. He stops and sees a cloaked
      figure standing directly in front of him; we imagine it's staring
      at him, but its cowl is pulled up.]

Grandpa:  You're the cause of all this, aren't you?

Figure:  [gruff, echoing] Yes.

     [The figure lunges at Grandpa; the two of them start to fight.
      Grandpa fights much better than you'd expect for an old man,
      but the cloaked figure manages to thoroughly beat the shit out
      of him. Finally Grandpa collapses, bruised, bloody, and beaten
      on the ground. There is a ripple effect behind and Kasuga emerges.]

Kasuga:  Whoa... That was one strange trip... Grandpa!

     [Kasuga runs to his grandfather's side and kneels beside him.]

Kasuga:  What happened?

Grandpa:  [pointing off into the distance] Cloaked figure... He's the
thing inside Kurumi that's changed her. [gasps] It's too late for me,
Kasuga. There's nothing more I can do here. You're Kurumi's last hope.
[fading away] Find him, and.... [fades away completely.]

     [Kasuga runs his hands through the sand where Grandpa used to be,
      looking for some trace of him; but there is none. After a long
      moment, Kasuga gets to his feet and walks in the direction that
      Grandpa pointed.]

                              <->  <->  <->

     [Cut to a shot of the field of Hoshi All-Girls school where
      Akane and Kurumi were fighting. However the sky above it is a
      deep shade of purple, and there are several moons of different
      colors as well. Kasuga walks into it and turns around sharply.
      He looks behind him and doesn't see the desert he was walking
      in. When he turns around again, he sees the cloaked figure
      standing about twenty feet away from him. Kasuga walks a little
      way, and then stops. They stare at each other in silence.]

Kasuga:  So you're the one causing all the trouble.

Figure:  You could say that.

Kasuga:  I can't let you continue.

Figure:  Is that a fact?

Kasuga:  I'll fight you if I have to.

Figure:  Would you fight... 

     [The figure pulls off his cowl, but as he does his clothes are
      completely transformed. He's dressed in a Tuxedo now. He's
      Kasuga, but he looks more mature and more suave. His hair is
      neatly combed and geled into place.]

Slick Kasuga:  ...yourself?

Kasuga:  This is just a trick.

Slick Kasuga:  You just keep telling yourself that.

     [The two of them start to fight. It looks like something out of
      badly choreographed martial arts movie. Very quickly, Slick
      Kasuga pins Kasuga down. Slick Kasuga is about to bring down a
      hammer blow, but a hand reaches out and grabs him arm. Slick
      Kasuga slowly turns to look beside him. The arm belongs to
      Kurumi; she is wearing bright yellow/white clothes and is
      surrounded by a white aura. Slick Kasuga is frozen in place.
      Kurumi pulls Kasuga out from under him.]

Kasuga:  Kurumi?

Kurumi:  Oniichan, you can't beat him.

Kasuga:  Why are you helping me? This [off Slick Kasuga] is obviously
part of your mind.

Kurumi:  No he isn't. He's part of you.

Kasuga:  [eyes wide] WHAT?

Kurumi:  When you hypnotized me, part of your mind went into mine.
That's why the hypnosis didn't wear off. I've been fighting him ever
since, but I can't do it; I can't destroy him. He's part of you.
I can't hold him back any longer, oniichan... be careful.

     [Kurumi vanishes. Slick Kasuga comes back to life, he looks
      around, puzzled, and sees Kasuga.]

Slick Kasuga:  How did you do that?

Kasuga:  [fist into palm] Of course! You're the part of me that comes
out when I hypnotize myself! That's why I had so much trouble asking
Ayukawa to the dance!

Slick Kasuga:  What are you babbling about?

Kasuga:  We are the same.

Slick Kasuga:  I could never by a milquetoast like you.

Kasuga:  Of course not; we're two parts of a whole. That's why we're
different. I am the safe part, the part which sustains me. But you're
the dangerous part; the part which drives me to try new things, to
take risks. We're both equally bad apart; but together, we're worth
something. [offers his hand] Come on, you don't belong here.

Slick Kasuga:  Why? I like it here.

Kasuga:  [raises one eyebrow] Do you? Do you really?

     [Both of them disappear in a flash. A long moment passes, and
      then the two of them appear again. Slick Kasuga has a sick look
      on his face.]

Slick Kasuga:  Jesus! Does dad know she read that many yaoi mangas?

Kasuga:  I've been waiting for an (cough) OPPORTUNE moment to tell
him. [offers hand] So?

     [Slick Kasuga sighs, and he takes his hand. There is a blast of
      bright light, and the two merge into one. There is a ripple
      effect and Kasuga vanishes. Cut back to Kurumi's bedroom. Kasuga
      opens his eyes. Kazuya and Grandpa look at him anxiously.]

Kasuga:  It's over.

                              <->  <->  <->

     [Cut to a shot of the streets between Green Castle and Kouryou
      Gakuen. Ayukawa is walking to school. Kurumi turns a corner and
      sees her. Her sheepishly walks towards her.]

Kurumi:  Hey senpai.

     [Ayukawa looks a bit fed up, but manages to smile.]

Kurumi:  I... I just want to apologize for the way that I've been
acting lately. You were right, it was just a phase I was going
through.

Ayukawa:  I kind of expected as much. You seem much more the
guy-loving type; no offense.

Kurumi:  None taken. I'm... I'm just sorry I caused you so much
distress.

Ayukawa:  [tender smile] Don't worry about it. In fact, I considered
myself extremely flattered.

Kurumi:  [looking up] Really?

Ayukawa:  To think that you would cross that line for me... How could
I not help but feel gratified?

     [Kurumi smiles as well.]

                              <->  <->  <->

     [Cut to an exterior shot of Hoshi All-Girl's school, around
      noon. Akane and her friends are walking out the front entrance.]

Akane:  So then I said 'I'm going to send you to Hell', and she was
like 'bring it, bitch', and I...

     [She stops as she sees Kurumi across the street, leaning against
      a building, her arms folded behind her. Akane motions to her
      friends and crosses the street. She stands beside Kurumi, not
      looking at her. For a good half-a-minute, neither of them say
      anything.]

Kurumi:  I came to apologize.

Akane:  I expected as much.

Kurumi:  It really wasn't my fault, though.

Akane:  I understand.

Kurumi:  But the two of us have never really fought before... and I
hope this doesn't ruin things for us.

Akane:  Hope not.

     [After a moment, Kurumi starts to walk away.]

Akane:  Wait. [Kurumi does] Thanks for coming here and saying that;
especially since you didn't have to. It means a lot.

Kurumi:  [smiling] You're welcome. [turns to walk away, then stops]
Just so you know; I could've taken you.

Akane:  [smiles] Of course you could.

     [Kurumi walks off.]

                              <->  <->  <->

     [Cut to a shot of the glade of Kouryou Gakuen. Kasuga, lunch bag
      in hand, is scoping out the scenery, obviously looking for
      someone.]

Kasuga:  [grumbles] Great, now when I actually have the guts to ask
her, Ayukawa's nowhere to be seen.

Ayukawa:  [os] Of course not!

     [He hears Hikaru laughing. Kasuga ducks behind a tree. Hikaru
      and Ayukawa walk down the path where he just was.]

Hikaru:  So are you going to the Spring Ball? I've been meaning to
ask Senpai, but he doesn't seem to have been around the last few days.

Ayukawa:  I don't think so. My parents are going to be in town that
week, and I'm going want to spend time with them. [pauses] If you
can't find Kasuga, you can always ask Yuusaku.

Hikaru:  [sour look] Like I'd ask that chump!

Ayukawa:  All right then, why don't you stop by that night? We'll all
have dinner together.

Hikaru:  All right, happy, happy, happy! I'd love to see your parents
again!

     [The two of them walk off. Pan over to where Kasuga is behind the
      tree. He scowls. Fade to black.]

                              -The End-

Started- December 13th, 2001
Finished - July 4th, 2002 (USA! USA! USA!)
Please direct any questions or comments to:
[email-masked] (do not use the reply field, I only check that
mailbox about once a month)