Subject: [KOR][FanFic] The Rumbling Spirit
From: [email-masked] (Chris Schumacher)

Begin - The Rumbling Spirit

!

                         KIMAGURE ORANGE ROAD
                          The Rumbling Spirit

KOR created by Matsumoto Izumi,
(C) 1986 Matsumoto Izumi

Written By: Chris Schumacher

     [Opening shot: aerial, exterior of the Green Castle apartments;
      early morning, autumn. Cut to an exterior shot of the plaque
      out front.]

Plaque: Kasuga Takashi
        --------------
        Kyouske
        Manami
        Kurumi

     [Cut to an interior shot of the breakfast table. Takashi is
      reading the paper, Kasuga sits across from him, eating a pear.]

Paper:  "Flu Epidemic Grows."

     [After a moment Takashi stops reading and looks over his paper
      at his son. They both look rather nervous. They both look at
      the ceiling.]

Takashi:  Rather quiet this morning...

Kasuga:  Yeah... It is.

                              <->  <->  <->

     [Cut to a shot of Manami sleeping in her bed. The alarm clock
      reads "7:28". It changes to "7:29" and the alarm goes off.
      Manami's hand reflexively reaches up and slams down on the
      snooze bar. Manami scowls and turns over so that she's facing
      the direction of the open door. Kurumi walks past in the
hallway;
      she's already wearing her school uniform. She stops and pops
      her head into the room.]

Kurumi:  You STILL aren't up? Are you feeling okay Manami-chan?

     [Cut to a shot of a black screen. Eyes opening effect, and we
      see a blurred representation of the room from Manami's POV.
      The POV switches to the clock, where all we can see are several
      blobs of red light. We then see her hand reach over and pick up
      an object from the nightstand. We hear a "clack, clack" noise,
      and suddenly everything sharpens into focus as Manami pulls her
      glasses on. The shot swings back to the clock, which now reads
      "7:30". Cut to a shot of the room. Manami jumps from her bed.]

Manami:  7:30?!

     [She rushes out of the room and down the hallway and into the
      kitchen. Kasuga and Takashi both look up expectantly. Despite
      her frenetic movements and tone, Manami looks terrible. She has
      dark circles underneath her eyes.]

Manami:  Sorry, I'm sorry, I overslept...

Takashi:  That's all right, we ate cereal.

Kasuga:  We tried to get you up, but it was like trying to wake the
dead.

Takashi:  I think you should be more concerned right now with getting
to school on time than making us breakfast.

Manami:  Yeah...

     [Manami slowly trudges her way along the hallway. Kasuga and
      Takashi exchange glances.]

Kasuga:  A little sluggish this morning, isn't she?

     [Cut to a shot of Manami walking into the bathroom. She lifts up
      her glasses with one hand and rubs her eyes with the other.]

Manami:  <I feel like I haven't slept at all.>

                              <->  <->  <->

     [Cut to the kitchen, a while later. No one is present, and the
      paper sits folded on the table. Manami, now clad in her school
      uniform, but not looking any more awake or alert, trudges in.
      She checks her watch and scowls. Cut to an exterior shot of
      the Green Castle Apartments. Manami walks out the front door
      and down the sidewalk. After a moment she stops and looks at
      her watch.]

Manami:  <I'm never going to make it on time.>

     [She looks around to make sure that no one is watching, and then
      crouches. The image of her blurs and vanishes; a successful
      teleportation.]

                              <->  <->  <->

     [Cut to a shot of a power box behind the school. Suddenly there
      is a flash, a blur appears, and resolves itself into the form
      of Manami. She grabs the edge of the powerbox to steady herself;
      she looks even worse than when last we saw her.]

Manami:  <That took a lot more out of me than it usually does...>

     [Manami straightens up and walks out towards the school building.
      Cut to a shot of the sidewalk, where Kasuga and Ayukawa are
      walking. Kasuga sees Manami and turns white.]

Kasuga:  <How did she... No! She wouldn't, not Manami!>

Ayukawa:  Hey, your sister doesn't look too well. I wonder if
something
is going around?

     [Cut to a shot of the front of the school, people are going in
      the entryway.]

Sign:  Kouryou Gakuen.

     [Kasuga peels off from Ayukawa and goes over to Manami, who is
      taking her shoes off to put in her locker.]

Kasuga:  [low] Did you just-

Manami:  I wasn't seen.

Kasuga:  But you're the one who's always telling us to never do stuff
like that!

Manami:  [angry] Would you rather I be late?!

     [Kasuga is taken aback. Manami changes into her school shoes and
      slams her locker shut.]

                              <->  <->  <->

     [Cut to a shot of Manami's classroom, a little later. The teacher
      is writing algebraic equations on the board. Manami keeps
jerking
      awake from minuscule naps. She shakes her head really fast and
      slaps herself on both cheeks.]

Girl:  Hey, I got a Vitamix in my desk, just in case. You want it?

Manami:  Yeah, sure.

     [The girl takes out a small brown bottle with a label on it.
      It says "Vitamix! Vitamin A,B,C,E and extra caffeine!
      Warning: Do Not Drink More Than One A Day!". The girl hands it
      to Manami. Manami screw the top off, and drinks it in one gulp.
      She smacks her lips in disgust.]

Manami:  Ugh. [hands her the bottle] Thanks.

Girl:  No problem.

                              <->  <->  <->

     [Cut to an exterior shot of Green Castle apartments, late 
      afternoon; because it's autumn, the sun is already down. Cut to
      a shot of the entryway. Manami comes in the front door, closing
      it behind her. She starts to take off her shoes, but wobbles.
      She tries to regain her balance, but suddenly she goes limp and
      collapses. Takashi's head pops out from the kitchen to see
what's
      going on.]

Takashi:  Manami!

                              <->  <->  <->

     [Cut to a shot of Manami laying in bed with a thermometer in her
      mouth. All of the other family members are present. Manami is
      conscious again; Takashi takes the thermometer out of her mouth.
      He frowns.]

Takashi:  It's 39 degrees.

Kasuga:  Yikes!

Takashi:  I think you'd better stay home from school tomorrow.

Manami:  No, I'll be fine. I just need some sleep.

     [Cut to a shot of Kurumi, Kasuga, and Takashi out in the
hallway.]

Kurumi:  I guess I'll make dinner then.

Kasuga&Takashi:  Ulp!

Kurumi:  [slow burn] WHAT?!

Kasuga:  Uh, we can't, we... uh...

Takashi:  Need to look at some Venetian blinds! For the kitchen, you
see.

Kasuga:  Yeah, can't forget to do that. We need to get to Bic Camera
before they close. Come on, dad.

     [They traipse down the hallway.]

Takashi:  [os] Let me get my coat first.

Kasuga:  Don't forget the punchcard, we've got a free bowl coming!

     [Kurumi grits her teeth.]

                              <->  <->  <->

     [Cut to a shot of the kitchen table, a little later. Manami, clad
      in a bathrobe, is sitting at the table. Kurumi brings a bowl of
      chicken ramen over and sets it in front of her.]

Kurumi:  I've heard that there's something in chicken that breaks up
sinus blockages.

Manami:  But I don't have a sinus infection.

     [Kurumi shrugs and walks towards her room.]

Kurumi:  [mumbling] Why, thank you sister, you are soooo kind to
think of me.

     [Manami waits until Kurumi's out of earshot and walks over to the
      sink and dumps the ramen down the drain. Manami opens one of the
      cabinets and comes out with a three-pack of Snickers and a 1.5
      liter bottle of Coke. She walks out of the kitchen.]

                              <->  <->  <->

     [Cut to a shot of Manami's bedroom, the next morning. Manami,
      looking about just as bad as when we last saw her, gets out of
      bed and makes her way to the bathroom. She finds Takashi
standing
      in front of it with his arms crossed. He has the thermometer
      box in his right hand.]

Takashi:  Planning on going to school, huh?

Manami:  Yep. Can't let a little viral infection hurt my average.

Takashi:  Then you'd better not have a temperature.

     [Takashi hands her the thermometer. Manami sticks it into her
      mouth. Cut to a shot of Manami in front of the mirror. The water
      is running. Manami takes the thermometer out of her mouth and
      looks at it. She scowls and runs it under the faucet. She pops
      it into her mouth and walks out into the hallway. She takes it
      out and shows it to Takahashi.]

Manami:  There, 37. Satisfied?

Takashi:  [sighs] All right, you can go to school.

Manami:  Thank you.

     [Kasuga comes out of his room.]

Kasuga:  Can I stay home instead?

Takashi:  No, you clod.

                              <->  <->  <->

     [Cut to a shot of Kasuga's classroom, lunchtime. Kasuga, Komatsu
      and Hatta are sitting on one corner of the room. Ayukawa is
      sitting by herself. Kasuga tries to get up, but Komatsu drags
      him down. Kasuga sighs.]

Komatsu:  So, did you hear what happened in room 302 yesterday?

Kasuga:  No, can't say I did.

     [Cut to a b&w shot of Room 302, the previous day. A female
teacher
      sits at the desk, reading a book. No one else is in the room.]

Komatsu:  There was this student teacher working with Magami-sensei in
room 301. She was taking her lunch break in 302, when all of a
sudden...

     [Suddenly a desk rises into the air. The student teacher looks
      up, shocked. It flies towards the back wall and slams into it
      with an unbelievable clatter. Cut back to Kasuga's classroom.
      Kasuga is quite pale. Ayukawa has gotten up and left the room.]

Hatta:  Maybe she was hallucinating; or maybe she made it up. You
know how those student teachers are--she had to take her rage out on
something.

Komatsu:  You know what I think, I think it was a poltergeist! Maybe
it
was the spirit of some student who killed himself after he failed the
Junken, or something!

Hatta:  Look, she's making it up, I tell you.

Komatsu:  You don't believe in ghosts or psychic phenomena?

Hatta:  Why should I? This is the 20th century, for cripes sake!

Komatsu:  Well I'm going to prove it's real!

Kasuga:  [Sheepishly] Oh? How do you intend to do?

Komatsu:  I'm going to do a complete investigation of this school to
prove that there is a spiritual or psychic presence here.

     [Kasuga goes even whiter.]

Kasuga:  Could you excuse me for a moment?

     [Kasuga gets out of his chair and scampers out of the room.]

Hatta:  All right, I'll help you then. But I'll make you a 2000Y bet
that we don't find ANYTHING.

Komatsu:  You're on.
                              
                              <->  <->  <->

     [Cut to a shot of Manami and Kurumi's classroom. Manami is
      sitting against the wall reading a book. Kurumi is eating her
      lunch. The door swings open and Kasuga comes in. He walks over
      to his sisters.]

Kasuga:  [dripping with sarcasm] Could I have a word?

     [Cut to a shot of the hallway. No one else is around except for
      the Kasuga kids.]

Kurumi:  I swear I didn't do it! I don't even have any classes on the
third floor.

Manami:  Hey, don't look at me. I may have teleported here yesterday,
but I'm not stupid.

Kasuga:  Well then who did it then?!

Kurumi:  Oh come on, onnisan, I'm sure she was making it up.

Kasuga:  She had better be. I'm telling Dad about this in any case.

Manami:  [pushing him] Hey! Don't you get all high and mighty on us
all of a sudden. You're the one who's been abusing his powers in
public, NOT US.

     [Kasuga gives her a strange look, Kurumi looks a little
bewildered
      too.]

Kasuga:  Well I just thought-

Manami:  Don't think--if you can't do something proper, then don't do
it at all! Now why don't you get back to your side of the building 
and leave us the hell alone, 'eh?

     [Kasuga looks bewildered, but simply nods numbly and walks off.
      Kurumi stares at Manami.]

Manami:  What?!

                              <->  <->  <->

     [Cut to a shot of the hallway near Kasuga's room, later. Hatta is
      leaning against the wall, holding a notepad and a pencil in his
      hands. After a moment Komatsu comes out. He's holding a gohei;
      one of those staffs with the paper streamers, and has two
candles
      strapped to his head. Hatta rips them off his head.]

Hatta:  Cut that out, we're being serious here! We're looking for
physical evidence here, not mystical!

Komatsu:  One never knows; there might be something in those old
legends.

Hatta:  Yes, but that stuff was meant to keep ghosts AWAY, wasn't it?

     [Komatsu thinks about it for a moment, and throws the gohei
      away.]

Komatsu:  All right. What do we do first?

Hatta:  First, we interview people.

     [Cut to a shot of a female student.]

Student:  Strange things? Well, one time I was going to the ATM for
my parents, and when I pressed the button to make a deposit, it 
gave me 20,000 yen from our account and spat my card back at me.

     [Cut to a shot of a male student.]

Student2:  Ghosts? Well, I think I saw Osamu Tezuka on the train the 
other day, but it might have just been the hat he was wearing.

     [Cut to a shot of Yusaku he rubs his chin.]

Yusaku:  Well, there was this one time when this volleyball was coming
towards the window, and suddenly the window slid open by itself. Damn
ball ended up hitting me.*

Hatta:  Was it on the third floor?

Yusaku:  No, it was on the second floor.

Hatta:  [rubbing chin] Hmmmm.

Komatsu:  Hey, if they can return from the world of the dead, they
can move up a flight of stairs!

(* - Volume 4, story 2, page38, frame 2)

                              <->  <->  <->

     [Cut to an exterior shot of the Green Castle apartments, night.
      Cut to an interior shot of Manami's room. She's floating about
      three feet above her bed, reading a copy of Shonen Jump. She's
      also levitating a plate with some cookies on it a big bottle of
      C.C. Grape soda. Manami chuckles to something in the book and
      turns a page. Kurumi passes by the open door and stops dead.]

Kurumi:  Hey, since when were you show-off type? Weren't you the one
who was always telling us to hide our powers so we wouldn't have to
move again?

Manami:  At least I'm only using them in private. Unlike some people
we know, who actually forced us to move.

     [Kurumi looks stricken, she grits her teeth. Manami turns away
      from her.] 

Kurumi:  As they say in American movies: Them's fighting words!

     [Manami nods and slowly lowers herself to the bed. The plate
      shoots towards Kurumi. Kurumi ducks and it smashes against the
      wall. A chair picks itself off of the floor and flings itself
      towards Manami. Manami uses a PK-enhanced jump to get out of
      the way. A series of pillows blasts across the room and almost
      all of them hit Kurumi. Manami's lamp flings itself across the
      room towards her. Manami holds her hand out towards it, then
      suddenly looks panicked. The lamp hits her square in the head
      and floors her. Kurumi is shocked.]

Kurumi:  MANAMI!

                              <->  <->  <->

     [Cut to a shot of Manami's bedroom, some time later. Manami is
      still out. Kurumi is sitting over her, panicked.]

Kurumi:  [crying] You were supposed to block it, Manami!

     [Manami opens her eyes, and looks around woozily.]

Manami:  I tried to stop it, but I couldn't... It wasn't very heavy,
how come...

     [Manami sits up. She stares at the broken parts of the lamp. She
      looks at them intently, but nothing happens. She turns to a
      pillow on the floor and gives it the same look--again, nothing.
      She turns to a doll on the floor, but nothing happens. She goes
      over to her desk and gives a piece of paper the look.]

Manami:  I... I can't use my powers!

                              <->  <->  <->

     [Cut to a shot of Kasuga's room, some time later. Kasuga is
      sitting at his desk, Manami on his bed and Kurumi on the floor.
      Takashi is standing by the light switch.]

Kasuga:  I can't think of anything that caused it. I never lost my
powers before, never entirely.

Kurumi:  I did. Once.

     [Manami and Kasuga both give her intent looks.]

Kurumi:  It was two moves ago. You remember that, I used to go on
those
marathon sprees with them. But one time, I used them so much that I
ran
out of power. It took almost a week for them to come entirely back.

Kasuga:  [aghast] I never used them anywhere NEAR that much!

Manami:  But that can't be it. I barely use my powers at all. That
teleport yesterday and the levitation today were the only times I used
them. That's nowhere near the level you used them back then.

Takashi:  It might be the flu that's affecting them.

Kasuga:  Yeah, illnesses can have rather strange effects on our
powers.

     [Cut to a b&w shot of a naked Kasuga in a park a few feet away
      from a bench with Umao and Ushiko staring at him. Cut back to
the
      present, Kasuga is blushing a little.]*

Takashi:  I'm sure it'll clear up in a day or too. If it doesn't, I'll
call grampa and see what he has to say about it.

(* - manga volume 5, story 5, page101, frame 2) 

                              <->  <->  <->

     [Cut to an exterior shot of Kouryou Gakuen, morning. Cut to an
      interior shot of the second floor hallway. Manami, looking
      depressed as well as sick, goes to her locker and tries to pull
      it open. It's stuck.]

Manami:  <This always was hard to open. I used to pretend I was
pulling
on it and use my powers to move the rusted parts.>

     [She looks around.]

Manami:  <Maybe Kurumi could... where is she?>

     [Manami turns and looks out the window. Out on the quad she sees
      Kurumi talking to Komatsu. Manami frowns.]

                              <->  <->  <->

     [Cut to a shot of Kasuga's classroom. The teacher is taking
roll.]

Teacher:  Ayukawa. Ayukawa?

     [Kasuga is looking at the empty seat next to him.]

Teacher:  Maybe it's the flu that's going around.

Student1:  I don't think so, she's probably skipping again.

Student2:  But she hasn't in such a long time. I thought she didn't
do that anymore.

Student3:  Once a delinquent, always a delinquent.

     [Kasuga scowls.]

Student2:  Hey, did you hear about that room on the third floor? The
chalkboard fell down during biology class and almost crushed the
teacher!

     [Kasuga's scowl softens into a smile.]

Kasuga:  <Of course, Ayukawa is afraid of ghosts! No wonder she isn't
here.>

                              <->  <->  <->

     [Cut to a shot of room 302. The desks are all scattered around
      and several of the windows have been broken. Komatsu and Hatta
      are present. Hatta has a thermometer gun, which he uses to take
      a reading.]

Hatta:  [shakes head] No difference between here and the hallway. It
can't be a spiritual presence, then.

Komatsu:  Perhaps it's no longer here.

     [A desk starts to rattle where it's on the floor. Komatsu and
      Hatta both look extremely scared. It falls over. Hatta presses
      the trigger on the thermometer again and shakes his head.]

Komatsu:  All right, now supposing that it's true that all spiritual
entities are accompanied by cold air, then what is causing this?

     [Hatta sits down on the teacher's desk, which we can see is
      bolted to the floor.]

Hatta:  You know, some paranormal researchers don't believe that
poltergeists are really spirits. They believe that they're 
manifestations of latent psychic powers.

Komatsu:  But of whose powers? And why do they act the way they do?

Hatta:  They think that it's latent telekinetics who are in times of
agitation or hardship in their life. They can't control their powers,
so their subconscious does. Say something has been abused by their
father, suddenly this poltergeist seems to have an interest in their
father, and throws objects at him. They never realize they're doing
it.

Komatsu:  Maybe if we go through the list of all the people who
experience psychic phenomena during the past few years, we can
determine who this latent telekinetic is.

Hatta:  I think that would be a good idea.

     [Hatta notices something on the floor. He leans down and picks
      up a piece of dark blue cloth. Komatsu looks at it.]

Komatsu:  What's that?

     [Hatta shows it to him, it has the logo of the New York Knicks
      on it. They both look befuddled.]

                              <->  <->  <->

     [Cut to a shot of Kasuga's classroom, lunch time. Kasuga sits
      alone. He looks over at Ayukawa's empty seat again. He picks up
      his lunch and leaves the room. Cut to a shot of the quad, where
      a few people are sitting eating their lunches. Manami sits
alone.
      Kasuga comes out the front door and sees her. He goes over to
      sit next to her.]

Kasuga:  Ah, here you are. [smiles] Pretty warm for October, 'eh?

Manami:  Yeah, I suppose so.

     [Kasuga takes the plastic wrap off the top of his lunch. He looks
      around to make sure no one is in earshot.]

Kasuga:  So, how are you taking it?

Manami:  I tried to use my powers five times today. I kept forgetting
that I didn't have them. [sighs] I said yesterday that I didn't use
my powers that much. I never realized how much I did in daily life.
Not like you and Kurumi do--but just ways that I considered normal.
If something was too heavy, I just gave a little extra push with my
powers. Something out of reach and no one was watching, just bring it
a little closer... Now I can't do that.

Kasuga:  It's hard to imagine what you're going through.

Manami:  And now that I think about it--this is what it's like to be
normal.

Kasuga:  [nods] Yeah, I suppose that's true. 

                              <->  <->  <->

     [Cut to a shot of Room 302 again. Komatsu and Hatta are going
      through several sheaves of paper. Hatta looks at his watch.]

Hatta:  Lunch is almost over.

Komatsu:  No, I can't find anyone who was at all of the occurrences.
There aren't even that many people who were at more than two of them.

     [Cut to a shot of the second floor hallway. Manami and Kasuga are
      walking along, suddenly Manami begins to look faint. She 
      stumbles.]

Kasuga:  Manami?

Manami:  Onnisan.... [holds head.]

     [Suddenly we hear from out the window.]

Noise:  Whirl, crash, poink!

Komatsu:  OH SHIT!

     [Cut to a shot of 302, it looks like a tornado is ripping apart
      the room. Desks are whirling around anywhere, even the teacher's
      desk is starting to uproot from the ground. Cut back to the
      second floor hallway. The bag beneath Manami's eyes have
deepened
      considerably, she stumbles and finally collapses. Kasuga grabs
      her before she hits the floor.]

Kasuga:  Manami!

     [He hoists her up and runs down the hallway towards the
infirmary.]

                              <->  <->  <->

     [Cut to a shot of the principal's office. Hatta and Komatsu, all
      bruised and their uniforms ripped, stand before the principal.]

Principal:  And I suppose you two had nothing to do with this?

Hatta:  Do we look strong enough to do that sort of damage? And why
would we beat each other up that bad? [rubs black eye] I think I might
go blind in this eye.

Komatsu:  Aw, shut up you big baby!

     [The principal's secretary comes by.]

Secretary:  The cab is here to take Kasuga-san home.

Principal:  Thank you, Miko.

     [Miko nods and leaves.]

Komatsu:  What'd Kasuga do to get expelled?

Principal:  It's his sister, she fainted earlier in the second floor
hallway.

Komatsu:  Oh? What caused it?

Principal:  She's had that flu that's been going around for the past
couple of days--but she hasn't been doing anything to treat him.
[sighs]
I suppose you're right, and you couldn't have caused that amount of
damage--and you were in other places when it happened before. Just,
stay out of there from now on, okay?

Komatsu:  Why? [glare] Is this some kind of conspiracy to hide the
truth?

Principal:  [ignoring him] These things usually run their course in
a few months--all we need do is stay out of the thing's way.

Hatta:  Oh come on, there has to be some rational explanation for
what's happening up there. A localized earthquake, something-

Principal:  Believe what you will, just stay out of trouble, okay?

Hatta:  Yes, sir.

     [Komatsu simply grumbles.]

                              <->  <->  <->

     [Cut to a shot of Manami's room, late afternoon. Manami is asleep
      in her bed. Cut to a shot of the hallway, where Takashi and
      Kasuga are peering in. Takashi turns to look at his son.]

Takashi:  You're sure about this?

Kasuga:  The timing was almost exact. And it never occurred to me
before, but Room 302 is right above Manami's homeroom.

Takashi:  If her powers are out of control, then we are in real
trouble. I'd better call grampa...

     [Takashi walks off. Kasuga looks in on his sister and sighs.]

                              <->  <->  <->

     [Cut to a shot of Hatta's bedroom, early evening. The papers we
      saw him sorting through earlier are on the desk, along with the
      blueprints of the school. He is marking off locations with red
      pen. He rubs his chin. After a moment he stops and stares at
      something.]

Hatta:  <I've only been looking at this in two dimensions. Sure, there
weren't any people close to Room 302 during all of the incidents, but
most of the people below it were there all day!>

     [He takes out a book which says "Class Roster" and flips through
      it. He starts to look at the files of all the incidents. He
      hums to himself and suddenly stops. He flips through the roster
      some more, and checks more files.]

Hatta:  [looking up] <Just why DID the Kasuga family move so often?>
[half closes his eyes]

                              <->  <->  <->

     [Cut to a shot of Kasuga's room, later. Kasuga is sitting at his
      desk, trying to do his homework but unable to concentrate.]

Kasuga:  <What's the point in doing this anyway? We're just going to
have to move in a couple of weeks.>

     [Takashi appears and knocks on the open door. Kasuga looks up.]

Takashi:  Grampa says there's something we can use. He's 
spot-teleporting, so he should be here around midnight, he said.

Kasuga:  Whew, that's a relief. I just hope he doesn't get seen. He
isn't very careful about hiding his abilities from others.

                              <->  <->  <->

     [Cut to a shot of Hatta's bedroom. He is staring out the window,
      his hands clasped behind his back.]

Hatta:  <What the hell am I going to do? I can't hide something like
this! But if I do that Manami will be....>

     [Hatta swallows hard.]

Hatta:  <There's got to be some way out of this...>

                              <->  <->  <->
                              
     [Cut to a shot of the countryside somewhere in Kanto. Grampa
      appears to one near the end of a large valley. He forms into a
      blur and appears on the other side. Cut to a large field, he
      crosses it the same way. Cut to a medium shot of him standing
      on the group. He's panting.]

Grampa:  [pant, pant] There's got to be a better way to do this.

                              <->  <->  <->

     [Cut to a shot of the family room of the Kasuga apartment. Kasuga
      and Kurumi are sitting in front of the TV, even though it isn't
      on. They both seem somber.]

Kurumi:  You think they're just going to let this pass?

Kasuga:  I just hope that no one connects it to us. Dad might just
move us to be on the safe side.

Kurumi:  I always knew that moving again was a possibility. But I
never for a minute thought that it was going be Manami who screwed
things up for us.

Kasuga:  [sighs] No, I never thought it would end like this either.

                              <->  <->  <->

     [Cut to a shot of the backyard of Hatta's house. He has the
      grill out and is torching a pile of papers. His mother sticks
      her head out of an upstairs window.]

Mother:  What the hell are you doing?!

Hatta:  Nothing, mom. Just go back to bed.

     [Suddenly Grampa Kasuga appears in the backyard, he pants a
little,
      and notices that Hatta sees him. He smiles, winks, and vanishes
      again. Hatta takes off his glasses and rubs his eyes.]

                              <->  <->  <->

     [Cut to a shot of the Kasuga household, night. The clock on the
      wall reads "11:52". Kurumi, Kasuga, and Takashi are sitting
      around the table. They all look very tired. Kasuga and Takashi
      have coffee cups in front of them. After a moment there is a
      knock on the door. They all scramble to answer it. Cut to a
      shot of Manami's room, night. The light turns on and Grampa
      walks in. Manami opens her eyes and stares. She picks up her
      glasses from the nightstand and puts them on.]

Manami:  Grampa? What are you doing here?

     [Grampa comes down and sits down on the end of the bed.]

Grampa:  I heard about the little problem you were having.

Manami:  [frowns] Yeah... Looks like we're going to have to move,
doesn't it?

Grampa:  Not if I can help it. [Gramps takes out a small ruby-studded
ring] Did I ever tell you about the village of the ESPers?

Manami:  No. I think I would've remembered.

Grampa:  Well, where me and your grandma live is where all of the
ESPers
in this part of the world lived. They needed to protect themselves
from
outsiders, you see. So they used to send spies into the surrounding
villages. They would dissuade people from believing rumors, and if
they
weren't able to do so, they were able to warn the ESPers in the
village.
Now, some of the spies didn't have the self-control not to use their
powers.

Manami:  Then why were they sent as spies?

Grampa:  Because they didn't -mean- to use their powers. Some of them
used them in crisis situations, others simply had their powers build
up to such a level that they started using them without realizing it.
[smiles] And sometimes, they got sick and couldn't control them. In
order to prevent these things from occurring, they invented this.
[holds up ring] This is the only one I know of that still exists. It's
been passed down in our family ever since the great cataclysm.

Manami:  So it will inhibit my powers?

Grampa:  Yes. [puts it on her left ring finger] But I should warn
you; the ESPers soon discovered that completely suppressing their
powers caused them to build. It's like pulling a rubber-band back.
When you finally take off the ring, your powers will be the strongest
they have ever been. It dissipates over time, but considering how
little you use your powers, it might end up being permanent.

Manami:  [smug grin] I think I can live with that.

                              <->  <->  <->

     [Cut to a shot of the Green Castle apartment, early morning. The
      sun is rising over the horizon. Cut to an interior shot of the
      bathroom. Kurumi is brushing her teeth in front of the sink.
      Manami comes in, still looking under the weather. Kurumi stares
      at her.]

Kurumi:  You're still going to school?

Manami:  If the attacks stop when I'm not there, somebody might get
suspicious, ne?

Kurumi:  [sighs] You think we'll get away with it?

Manami:  Hope so.

                              <->  <->  <->

     [Cut to a shot of the quad of Kouryou Gakuen, early morning.
      Hatta is sitting on a bench, Komatsu is stomping around. Kurumi
      and Manami are standing nearby, listening.]

Komatsu:  WHAT DO YOU MEAN YOU'RE CALLING OFF THE INVESTIGATION?!

Hatta:  I think it's a subterranean earthquake, filtered through the
odd construction of the school. I think it will probably subside
within
a few weeks.

Komatsu:  They've gotten to you, haven't they?

Hatta:  Who's "they"?

Komatsu:  Why, the ESPers that are doing this! You said yourself that
it was probably caused by a living person with psychic abilities!

Hatta:  I was wrong. [turns to the sisters Kasuga] Aren't I, girls?

Manami:  Y-Yes!

Kurumi:  Absolutely!

     [Hatta nods and smiles softly he walks into the building.]

Komatsu:  All right, go ahead and abandon me!

     [Kurumi walks around and in front of him.]

Komatsu:  But you can't stop me from continuing the investigation on
my own initiative! The truth is- [poink! Kurumi taps Komatsu on the
forehead] out to lunch? Sure! But you have to pay.

Kurumi:  [sighs] All right.

Komatsu:  What was I talking about?

Kurumi:  It wasn't important. Come on.

     [They walk into the building. Manami watches after them and
      smirks.]

                              -The End-

Any questions or comments more than welcome;
geniusloci @ madison.tdsnet.com